Saving my Mac SE/30. My first foray into SMD work

Sean Caron scaron at umich.edu
Mon Apr 27 12:32:29 CDT 2015

Thirded; I spent a few summers doing prototype assembly ... mostly SMD but
some through-hole ... in my dad's lab when I was home from university and I
got good results with just a very fine-tip soldering iron and a good
variety of precision pliers (or sufficiently small and well-callused
fingers, LOL) especially on simple little two-lead parts like resistors and
caps ... my hint for these is to get a little bit of solder down on one of
the pads first, then heat that up and re-melt while you maneuver the
component into place; hold for a second to be sure you get a good bond,
then it'll be good and stuck there while you solder the other side down
more "traditionally"; heat the junction between pad and part lead and then
get the solder in there... You can take the same approach with SOICs ...
pre-solder a pad and remelt while you get the IC into place; that will hold
the part in there while you get all the other leads using common soldering
techniques. I've never done BGAs ... that's where you start to need the hot
air. Using flux can make it easier for you, but you don't necessarily need
it if you have a good iron and you're "in practice" :O

I've seen these SMD aluminum electrolytics everywhere ... Apple equipment
is full of them ... I've also seen them in SGIs, Suns and ... I will defer
to someone who's looked at their NeXT Cube logic board more recently than I
... although so far, knock-on-wood, I haven't had any trouble with them
across all vendors worth of gear that I've got stashed.

Best,

Sean