Booting an IBM MP 3000 S/390 System

Sean Caron scaron at umich.edu
Thu Aug 6 10:04:07 CDT 2015

And so it remains today; most servers sold for data center applications
include a little service processor ... I've found it's usually a little
embedded ARM or PPC ... that you can use for remote console, remote power
control, etc. Although these are not required to bootstrap the system, of
course.

If you think the MP3000 is a slow booter, we just got some new 4U machines
in where I work; 1.5TB RAM; those things take almost 20 minutes to POST -
no joke!

Best,

Sean