VAX4000/300 MNS7.3 isntallation from CDROM

Holm Tiffe holm at freibergnet.de
Sat Aug 8 05:00:29 CDT 2015

Peter Coghlan wrote:

> On Sat, 08 Aug 2015 at 08:21:07 +0200, Holm Tiffe <holm at freibergnet.de> wrote:
>

> > I'm starting the image restore and now I have a problem that the DSSI disks
> > are "not software enabled".
> >

> I'm not sure but I think I recall getting that error when trying to mount a
> disk that had media problems :-(

Yes, so are the hints in the manuals.
.. but I've erased and verified thoses disks with the Utilities on them
(>>> set host/dup/DSSI/bus:0 0 params)
and that verify came up w/o errors. I had one disk that would'nt spin up
after power up and I've repaired that disk with an rubber hammer :-)
(Reported that months before) ..but taht I'snt the disk I'm trying to
install.

I've used the RF Series Integrated Storage Element Users Guide
(http://computer-refuge.org/classiccmp/dec94mds/rf72dug8.pdf)
to do this and in this moment I've run Verify again:

LBN Statistics:
                     0 Total Block(s) in error
Complete
..Hmm

So I think I missed one step, a logical format or so... on the other side
I can find no hints what that could be..

My tries to install produces the same errors on the two RF31 disks,
haven't tried to install on the RF71 but could do this, they are all empty.

Regards,

Holm

  www.tsht.de, info at tsht.de, Fax +49 3731 74200, Mobil: 0172 8790 741