Classic programming

Fred Cisin cisin at xenosoft.com
Sun Aug 9 14:16:30 CDT 2015

On Sun, 9 Aug 2015, Douglas Taylor wrote:
> I've watched this thread with interest because I am struggling with getting
> up to speed using Microsoft Visual C++ version 1.5, which I think was their
> first IDE.

??!?
December 1993
1.0 was February 1993

Do you really mean "first Microsoft IDE"??
Howzbout QUICKC?  (October 1987)

or first C++?
or first Windoze?   (QuickC for Windows September 1991)
or first Windoze C++?

When I taught C, I forced ("mean teacher") my students to do at least one
program using a command line compiler (suggested: GCC or PersonalC
(DeSmet)), and to do at least one program using an IDE (suggested: TurboC,
quickC, VisualC++, or Microsoft C/C++).  I was even so mean that I made
them create a source file AND an executable file, and even check the
DIRectory to confirm that the executable was newer than the source.