SCSI Tape to TAP utility

Jay Jaeger cube1 at charter.net
Sun Aug 9 17:03:32 CDT 2015

No, the OS did the drive assignments, and then prompted the operator to
do the mount of the appropriate VolSer on a given drive.  The label was
of course checked as part of the OS/360 open process, and if there was a
label, and it was not expired, one could not write over it, or, whether
reading or writing, that the label matched the requested DSN.

(Remember that OS/360 never heard of the 3480 tapes and their
autoloaders - things presumably changed then, along with tape library
management software, but by then I had moved on from mainframes, and
what little I did with them didn't involve tape).

The operators I worked with almost never mismounted a tape.

JRJ