SCSI Tape to TAP utility

tony duell ard at p850ug1.demon.co.uk
Sun Aug 9 23:57:54 CDT 2015

> I always kept a few cards in my shirt pocked to stick
> behind the mounted reel and trip the write-enable mechanism (which
> latched).  When the autoloading 66x drives came in, part of my world
> disappeared. I've never tried to see if that trick works on minicomputer
> reel-to-reel drives.

It should do. The few minicomputer magtape drives I've been inside have
a solenoid on the write-enable pin. If it is pushed in part way, a microswtich
operated and the solenoid pulls it in further to keep it away from the
write enable ring. Otherwise, I think there would be tremendous wear on
said ring.

-tony