MTS

jwsmobile jws at jwsss.com
Mon Aug 10 15:43:44 CDT 2015

On 8/10/2015 1:24 PM, Lyndon Nerenberg wrote:
> There have been a few references to MTS over the past couple of months
> that led me to suspect people are running it under Hercules.  I did
> some poking around a while back and managed to find some tape images
> (bitsaver, I think), and did some cursory reading of the release notes.
>
> I think there might be enough there to IPL and perform a basic
> installation, but what immediately caught my attention was the mention
> that sites had to purchase ASMH from IBM, which leads me to believe
> the public distributions don't contain an assembler.
>
> I cut my teeth on *real* computers on the U of Alberta's Amdahl
> running MTS, and I can't possibly imagine using it without an
> assembler.  So my first question is: is anyone running MTS under
> Hercules from these public images?  And if yes, question 2 is: which
> languages are included?
>
> One of the main reasons I would like to get MTS running would be to
> play around with the scheduler code.  I remember some changes that
> were introduced circa 1981 that - I thought - destroyed the
> interactive response time of the system.  E.g. APL went from being a
> joy to practically un-usable, IMO.  I've always wanted to poke around
> in there and see if I couldn't fix it.
>
> And to get thoroughly esoteric and obscure, what are the odds that
> someone out there squirreled away an archive of SHOW:? from UQV-MTS?
>
> --lyndon

Lyndon,
there is a Yahoo group, H390-MTS at yahoogroups.com which I archive and is
active which deals with MTS, assuming that it is the same mainframe system.

I didn't see that you had posted to any of the yahoogroups Hercules
groups, and you may be lurking, but wanted to mention them.  I can post
all of the hercules groups or send them offline if you need.

thanks
Jim