Z80 / Z84C Swap (Doh!)

tony duell ard at p850ug1.demon.co.uk
Mon Aug 17 00:13:10 CDT 2015

[Replacement Z80 in an Osborne]

> What I did learn is that Z-80 were made in CMOS versions, and the Z84C is
> one.
>
> So what did I most likely do, here? Hose the CPU for sure? Collateral
> damage on the board? Both / Neither?

Most likely neither (unless you put the CPU in the wrong way round or zapped
something with static -- CMOS _and_ NMOS parts can be damaged that way).

If the CPU is fast enough for the clock speed in that machine then most likely
a CMOS one will work without problems.

My guess is that the missing CPU was not the only fault. You now have a good
CPU but problems elsewhere (clock, ROM, RAM, support logic...). Time to grab
the logic analyser :-)

-tony