Creating 5.25" floppies

Chris Osborn fozztexx at fozztexx.com
Mon Aug 17 17:52:04 CDT 2015

On Aug 17, 2015, at 3:44 PM, drlegendre . <drlegendre at gmail.com> wrote:

> Any sense of what PC models / controllers are capable of this task?

Anything that will run ImageDisk or Teledisk will work. It doesn’t necessarily have to be one of those computers, you could pull the 360k drives from one of them and hook them into a “newer” PC that still has 5.25” 360k floppy support. There’s usually 360k floppy support on motherboards up to the Pentium III era.

I personally use an old ABIT KT7A-RAID board which has a controller which is capable of writing single-density/FM disks. I’ve got a half-height 5.25” 360k drive in it connected as drive B and a 3.5” 1.44M as drive A. I’ve used it quite often to create disks from my original TRS-80 Model I which can only do SSSD. I’ve also used it to make disks for the Kaypro and even make disks for my HP-150 which uses single-sided 3.5” disks.

--
Follow me on twitter: @FozzTexx
Check out my blog: http://insentricity.com