Probs w. M3119 CXY08 MUX on VAX VMS 7.3

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Tue Aug 18 15:23:08 CDT 2015

Paul Koning <paulkoning at comcast.net> skrev: (18 augusti 2015 21:55:23 CEST)

>> On Aug 18, 2015, at 3:48 PM, Johnny Billquist <bqt at update.uu.se>
>wrote:

>before you

>which cause all access to the controller to fail. But the vector often
>also move, causing the more obscure errors. However, most DEC OSes
>actually autodetected the vetor, and did not care about the actual
>floating assignment rules for the vectors.
>device, and then notice at what vector it came in, and then you go with
>that. This only fails when several devices happen to use the same
>vector.
>>>
>>> Typically that would be detected as a configuration error — two
>devices whose autodetected vector matches.  One of the offending
>devices (the one seen later, presumably) would end up disabled.
>>
>> Ideally yes. However, at least RSX I think fails on that. As device
>vectors are detected. they are installed. So the vector detection code
>does not get called for the second device using the same vector, but
>instead you get a spurious interrupt in the autoconfiguration.
>
>Ok.  RSTS does indeed check for duplicate vectors.  It also checks for
>devices interrupting at too high a priority.
>
>It’s pretty neat code.  Back in 1977 or so when that came out, it may
>have been one of the first autoconfig systems, at least in DEC.  It
>could probe almost all devices supported by RSTS (and some not
>supported); the exceptions being card readers and the DT07 bus switch.
>But it would do hairy things like the KMC-11 and DMC-11, for example.
>
>Also, for disks it would discover all units and their types.
>
>	paul

Rsx do most, if not all of that in the sysgen autoconfig phase, but not during normal boot.
At boot, device csr's are probed for simple read access. If nothing responds, the device is put offline,  but that's it. Detecting disk types is also a bit dynamic, but with some restrictions.

  Johnny

--
Skickat från min Android-telefon med K-9 E-post. Ursäkta min fåordighet.