Data I/O 29B

Randy Dawson rdawson16 at hotmail.com
Sat Aug 22 01:19:36 CDT 2015

Hi Jim,

Data I/O flew down to Texas every month, for sales meetings, we were doing a huge business for them. We would make joint calls and I remember that our field stuff was always updated as part of the trip.  All our demo units had these cool small suitcase, foam lined cases.  The FAE would go thru our stuff and make sure we were current.

There were always new chips to support for the Unipak, and they wanted to make sure that as we went on calls we never got stuck, as we were doing so well with the product.  My rep firm, USDATA was Texas, Oklahoma, and Louisiana for the product.  I never recall us going to visit Hamilton or Avenet, (AKA Hamilton Havenot!) I think they took those sales direct.  We were calling on TI, NASA, Datapoint, and the petrochem guys.

Jim, Did you know these guys?  I recall Dennis (sales mgr) and Marty (FAE)?
We had excellent support from these people as we were also users.  Our product line ('78-'82 timeframe) was all the top computer graphics, and we constantly had to update PROMS, EPROMS for the rest of our stuff:

Jupiter and AED graphics terminals;
Printronix and Trilog color printers;
Compucolor 8080 color computers;
Matrix film recorders;
Grinell image processor engine;

I remember after a day of Houston sales calls with them, I am driving them back to the airport.  We did not have lunch that day, so I stop at a tamale truck and hand these guys a sack of tamales.  Front seat is loaded with demo equip, so they are sitting in the back.  "Ever had a tamale?" I ask.  "These are great!"

I look in the rear view, and they are eating them, corn husks and all...

Back to Redmond, WA for these guys.

Now that is sales support!

Randy