De-yellowing results

Peter Cetinski pete at pski.net
Thu Aug 27 13:55:05 CDT 2015

> On Aug 27, 2015, at 2:45 PM, Evan Koblentz <evan at snarc.net> wrote:
>
> Brought my Apple //e Platinum to a MARCH workshop last weekend. We used a bottle of a "B-Blond" which I think is a woman's hair product from England. We painted it onto the computer case, wrapped the case in Saran Wrap, and left it outside in the sunlight for a few hours.
>
> The results were dramatic.
>
> Here's a reminder of the "before" showing the top cover. You can see the original platinum color at the bottom where it tucks into the main case. I don't have a "before" shot of the main case, but it was as badly yellowed as the top cover:http://snarc.net/yellowing.jpg.
>
> Here are some "after" shots.
>
> 1. Back at home. Notice color difference vs. the disk drives and system saver --http://snarc.net/desk.jpg.
>
> 2. Up-close. See the streaking and slight blotches? I believe that's from where the sunlight was blocked by trees (as the sun moved vs. the horizon that afternoon) and also from where the Saran Wrap bunched up in a few places --http://snarc.net/streaks.jpg.
>
> 3. De-yellowed case on the right. Case on the left is from another Platinum in the MARCH collection. I did a quick-and-dirty de-yellowing of the left half of that one, just to show another before/after shot. Prior to experimenting on it, this is the one that Ian Primus and others used for pranking me by swapping it with mine, overnight while I slept! :)  --
> http://snarc.net/both.jpg.
>
> So my computer isn't perfect and never will be, but overall it was a successful experiment.

It does look better.  Strange how the yellowing has some sort of negative psychological effect (myself included) on folks.  It would be great if you could take a similar photo every couple of months to see if/when the yellowing returns.  I don’t think I’ve seen anyone document that process.  I’ve only seen anecdotes that the yellowing returns.