Advice about repairing an IBM 5151

Vlad Stamate vlad.stamate at gmail.com
Sun Aug 30 18:36:26 CDT 2015

Hi Tony,

I have checked the horizontal signal from the MDA using an
oscilloscope. It is pin 8 like you mentioned. I get a regular 18KHz or
so signal out of that. Pin 9 gives the vertical signal at roughly
50Hz.

Then I traced that on the board and it seems ok (as in I can see the
18Khz signal on other components). One thing that I noticed is that
Pin 6 of the CRT neck comes pretty much from one of the pins of the
flyback transformer (via some diodes and resistors). So I checked the
voltage on the pins of the flyback transformer itself, so here is how
it looks

1 and 8 - Not connected
2 and 4 (I think those are inputs) - 15V
3 - GND
5 - 15V (this one goes to pin 6 of the video board where you mentioned
it should be hundreds of volts)
6 and 7 - about 200mV.

Does that look correct to you?

Regards,