Memory Voltage on MicroVAX II

Jon Elson elson at pico-systems.com
Sat Dec 5 13:18:56 CST 2015

On 12/05/2015 12:29 PM, Robert Jarratt wrote:
> [...]
How BIG a spike?  In a lot of these power supplies, they
don't regulate the "auxiliary" voltages.  So, whatever power
is needed to be sent to the main voltage, the aux. windings
just tap off some of that energy.  If the flux produces the
right voltage on the +5V (with so many turns on that
winding) then they put a few more turns on the 12 V
windings, and assume it should track FAIRLY well.  But,
maybe during the power-up surge, charging all the caps on
the +5 network, the +12 might surge a bit.

I built my own power system on my uVAX-II system, and had
separate supplies for +5 and +12 (mostly for the disk
drives).  One day the 12 V supply went haywire, and I had
inadvertently disabled the crowbar circuit.  It went up to
22 V and damaged the disk drive and blew caps and the RS-232
driver on the CPU board.  The disk drive worked for another
week, and then totally croaked.  I ordered the parts for the
serial transmitter and got it fixed fairly easily. (He he,
glad I had that print set!)

So, I can say that if the spike gets close to 22 V, that
would be real bad.

Jon