IDE knowledge anyone?

Oliver Lehmann lehmann at ans-netz.de
Fri Dec 11 15:00:31 CST 2015

Chuck Guzis <cclist at sydex.com> wrote:

> On 12/11/2015 12:04 PM, Oliver Lehmann wrote:
>
>> This is the question... what is the "correct data"? Would I be able
>> to see the cyl/sector/head information I've set before in that
>> buffer? I didn't understand what the sector buffer really is by
>> reading the docs.
>
> Well, ideally, this contains the data of the last sector
> transferred. It provides a sanity check on the data transfer path.
>
> So you should be able to do a "read sector buffer" after the aborted
> "read sector" and get some clue.

OK, after I issue the read-cmd and the ABRT occured, I directly fetch
the sector buffer and it contains:

7a424c0c0000100000e158023f001000
00000e004457572d3254393839313032
31392034202020200300000116003332
312e5536333744572043434131333036
48302020202020202020202020202020
20202020202020202020202020201080
0000002f000080020000020000000000
0000000000000001406b300000000704
030078007800a0007800000000000000
00000000000000000000000000000000
00000000000000000000000000000000
00000000000000000000000000007800

When I ignore the ERR-Status and read 512bytes anyhow, I'm reading
always this:

051760290510151037332e303455000d
0201251c120141123001530822015b1c
10020112110213141302271025017705
2302370e2e017c032102450824017f01
20024d0a000000000000000000000000
00000000000000000000000000000000
[...]
00000000000000000000000000000000
00000000000000000000000000000000

I've tried to read block 0, 1 and 2 - all reads are aborted, sector
buffer is always the same.