Webster WQSMD/04 Qbus SMD Controller

Robert Jarratt robert.jarratt at ntlworld.com
Sun Dec 13 01:40:01 CST 2015

I picked up some Qbus cards yesterday. They seem to be board set for a
MicroVAX II. However, one of the cards was, to me at least, a bit unusual.
It was made by a company called Webster, and it appears to be a controller
for SMD disks. I was not familiar with SMD disks and had to look them up. I
suspect this might be a little out of the ordinary, and, possibly, an odd
combination for a small Qbus system to access such a physically large type
of disk. Were MicroVAX IIs used much with such disks? Is this a bit of an
unusual find?

Regards

Rob