Re-inking printer ribbons

william degnan billdegnan at gmail.com
Sun Dec 13 12:17:51 CST 2015

On Sun, Dec 13, 2015 at 12:28 PM, Jules Richardson <
jules.richardson99 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Has anyone had any luck re-inking printer ribbons?
>
> I spent a few minutes looking at this Vic 1525 printer that I got the
> other day - turned out that the carriage was just gummed up and there was a
> blown fuse in the PSU section (probably related to the former problem).
>
> Of course the ribbon is completely dried out. I'd originally intended for
> the printer to be a static "Hey, that looks neat" item, but looking at it
> briefly, it's a good example of how to make a printer as cheaply as
> possible, so I'm wondering if there's a way of breathing life back into the
> ribbon so that it can print again in all it's noisy, glacially-slow glory
> :-)
>
> I don't care if it's not as black as an original ribbon would have been -
> it just might be nice if it was able to print something legible.
>
> cheers
>
> Jules

I have found that most vintage ribbons can be replaced with new ribbons for
new devices.  Worst case you may find the right width but you'll have to
re-thread to fit the vintage spindle.  Just have to match the width.

I recently bought new ribbons for Decwriter II and TI Omni 810 without any
problem.

Bill

--
Bill