CBM 1541 drive faults

Ethan Dicks ethan.dicks at gmail.com
Mon Dec 14 20:17:29 CST 2015

On Mon, Dec 14, 2015 at 6:32 PM, dwight <dkelvey at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Do remember when ordering 2114's that these are all NOS units
> and just about as likely to be bad as the ones in your unit.

Too true.  NOS doesn't mean it's working.

> I don't know of any surplus place that has the ability to test them.

Or the interestg.

> Most any of the places that I've dealt with will replace bad ones
> but if dealing by mail order, it may not be worth the hassle.
> Order a few extras.

That reminds me, I need to make a quickie little microcontroller-based
2114 tester.  I have tubes of the chips (NOS from 1982 - we used them
in the COMBOARD 1) and no confidence of which ones work and which ones
do not.  I'm sure 98% or more work.  Which 98% is the question.

It's not hard to make one with a <$10 microcontroller.  It's just a
question of sitting down and building it.

-ethan