IBM CMS dumpfile idiocy

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Wed Dec 16 13:43:29 CST 2015

On 12/16/2015 11:11 AM, Dave Wade wrote:

> CMS TAPE files are not intended to be used by other systems and the format
> is undocumented (well except a little in the source code) and has changed
> several times as disk formats have changed.

I've been on the receiving end of this before--several times.  Damned
inconsiderate programmers with no thoughts of the future.  Undocumented
format--how quaint.

Right now, I'm puzzling over a QIC tape that was apparently made early
on using Sytos, but the header doesn't match any version of Sytos that
I've seen.   Wonderful.

--Chuck