VAX 4000-500 PSU Overload?

Holm Tiffe holm at freibergnet.de
Thu Dec 17 09:52:41 CST 2015

Robert Jarratt wrote:

> [...]

..sounds at least interresting. Maybe you have a bad Tantal Capacitor
somewhere on the boards..
Try to pull boards until the current decreases...

> Of course it could have been a totally invalid test, but I know in some
> circumstances it can help to see if the output stage and the crowbar is
> working.

Whatever you want..  I'm curious what you will find out.

> > I've installed VMS 7.3 and some additional packages and played for some
> > days with that machine and it is running stable now if I power it on.
> > The only thing that I still have to complain about is that the NiCad Pack
> is
> > empty again a little to fast for my taste, the Battery was a new one..
> >

> Some people suggest removing those batteries altogether, to avoid damaging
> leaks.
>
> Regards
>
> Rob

The machine is build to contain those NC Packs, and yes I know that gases
from the Cells will corrode the electronics around it.
But the machine had some years running time on it and the corrosion effects
are pretty small, so I think with the fitted new battery it will last some
additional and I could handle this.

Regards,

Holm

  www.tsht.de, info at tsht.de, Fax +49 3731 74200, Mobil: 0172 8790 741