What did computers without screens do?

Ian S. King isking at uw.edu
Fri Dec 18 15:00:04 CST 2015

I deal with modern computing devices with no visual display - or at least,
the visual display is not used.  My current Day Job is in accessibility,
and I make extensive use of screen readers (your Android phone comes with
TalkBack, and if you're an iSerf you have VoiceOver).  It changes the
design space a lot - not only because 'display' is spoken word rather than
graphics, but because the screen reader inherently serializes the
experience of the UI.

--
Ian S. King, MSIS, MSCS, Ph.D. Candidate
The Information School <http://ischool.uw.edu>

Archivist, Voices From the Rwanda Tribunal <http://tribunalvoices.org>
Value Sensitive Design Research Lab <http://vsdesign.org>

University of Washington

There is an old Vulcan saying: "Only Nixon could go to China."