Ferroresonant transformers and 3278

Mike Ross tmfdmike at gmail.com
Tue Dec 22 05:51:39 CST 2015

On Wed, Dec 23, 2015 at 12:44 AM, Santo Nucifora
<santo.nucifora at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 22, 2015 at 5:52 AM, Brent Hilpert <hilpert at cs.ubc.ca> wrote:
>
>> On 2015-Dec-22, at 2:28 AM, drlegendre . wrote:
>> > Ah, a terminal it is! Thank you.

> Sadly, not as plentiful these days as vintage terminals.  I've been on the
> lookout for one for the last couple of years just to add to my collection.
> Seems that keyboard collectors like the keyboards too because those I have
> found but not for sale lately.

They do seem rather thin on the ground. I picked mine up... 15 years
ago now and they weren't that common then. And I had a *hell* of a
time finding a 3279 - the colour version - even then.

Do we have any South American correspondents listening in? I'm sure I
read that IBM had a factory in Brazil producing these - and they kept
on churning 3278s out for some considerable time after the rest of the
world had moved on. I believe it was also stated that there was
considerable redesign using more modern components inside that classic
3278 case on these later Brazilian examples. I'd certainly like to get
hold of a couple.

Mike