VAX 4000-500 PSU Overload?

Robert Jarratt robert.jarratt at ntlworld.com
Tue Dec 22 09:25:08 CST 2015

I was just reading the BA440 enclosure manual, and realised that the PSU
will shut down the system if it thinks the fan has failed. When I have the
PSU on the bench I don't have the fan connected of course. This would
explain the shut downs on the bench even when under low loads, it could be
just that it is detecting fan failure. At this point I realise I could be
barking up completely the wrong tree in suspecting faulty overcurrent
detection.

This PSU is really hard to diagnose, because it is so complex, especially
because it has a pretty complex interface to the backplane, not just power,
but also, seemingly, a fair number of control signals. I can't really tell
why it is shutting down, which makes it difficult to know where to begin
once the basics have been checked.

Regards

Rob