Anyone collect Fortune 32/16 systems?

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Wed Dec 23 12:53:40 CST 2015

On 12/23/2015 10:13 AM, Al Kossow wrote:

> Did it use ANSI escape sequences?
>
> There is another computer collector in the Bay Area who worked on the
>  Fortune Unix port.
>
> The MAME/MESS folks might be interested in simulating the terminal.
> They like working on things like that. The main CPU would be another
> simulation target if the technical docs ever turn up.

Yes, it was based on the VT100, so could also do VT50 sequences.  There
was a lot of code added to handle foreign character sets, based on the
Videotex/NAPLPS standards.

I think I've got the hand-drawn schematics in my file still.

That whole early 80s period in retrospect seems something of a black
hole for me.  I was dealing with a bucketload of personal issues and so
took on as much work as possible to get the bills paid.  So I did a fair
bit of Unix development, sysadmin-ed a VAX 11/750 running BSD and got
involved in too many short-term project to remember.  Occasionally, I'll
run across an old disk with code on it that identifies me as the author,
but I don't recall even doing it--we're not talking a few dozen lines,
either, but hundreds of lines.

The thing I remember about Fortune the most is that they had dial-in
USENET access.  The rest is a blur.

--Chuck