HP 16702A logic analyzer failed Ethernet (was Re: dumping Western Digital Microms)

Eric Smith spacewar at gmail.com
Thu Dec 24 18:05:07 CST 2015

On Thu, Dec 24, 2015 at 12:57 PM, Glen Slick <glen.slick at gmail.com> wrote:
> If you look around you could probably find a complete working 16700A
> or 16700B shipped to you for $100 or less. Then either use them with
> an external monitor instead of your 16702A, or transplant the 16700A
> parts into your 16702A if you want to keep using the built-in LCD
> monitor.

Actually the LCD monitor in the 16702A was dead when I got it, which
was probably why I got a good deal. Since the resolution of the LCD is
so low, it's much more usable with an external monitor anyhow. I just
wish that there was a setting for 1600x1200 at 60Hz, or that there was
a way to set up the "custom" display setting.

> I have one 16700A that no longer powers on. If just the power supply
> is dead I might consider parting out the CPU and interface boards.

I have a 16701A that doesn't power up. I haven't yet tried to sort
that out. I haven't really ever need more than five acquisition cards.

> (One thing that is interesting on the 16700 CPU board are an
> MP9914FNL, 75ALS160, 75ALS164, and an unused 24-pin connector. I
> wonder if there is GPIB capability hidden in the system.)

Are those chips actually loaded? Maybe they used them for manufacturing test?

I did think that one of the things they screwed up on the 16700 series
was not supporting HP-IB and the command set of the 16500 series.

Don't even get me started on the 16900 series, though.