Unknown TTY ICs

Kyle Owen kylevowen at gmail.com
Sun Feb 1 22:27:32 CST 2015

On Sun, Feb 1, 2015 at 2:22 PM, Chris Elmquist <chrise at pobox.com> wrote:

> I asked the question over on the Greenkeys list where all the Teletype
> experts
> hang out.  I got this reply,
>
>   Date: Sun, 1 Feb 2015 14:05:00 -0600
>   From: Paul Kasley <kasley at fnal.gov>
>   To: chrise at pobox.com, greenkeys at mailman.qth.net
>   Subject: Re: [GreenKeys] Fwd: Unknown TTY ICs
>
>   Teletype did indeed make their own ICs and they did indeed mark them
>   “TTY”. My first assignment as a co-op in 1973 at the T7 R&D facility
>   was to profile PN junction depths on diffused wafers. The R&D fab was
>   on the first floor of T7. Just off the T5 cafeteria was the epitaxial
>   deposition lab. The PMOS manufacturing facility was on the north side
>   of T3.
>
>   TTY custom ICs went into the model 43, the model 40, and certainly other
>   products that came after my time there.

Very cool! I've got some capability to open these up and take die shots if
folks are interested. Of course, if someone needs these instead, let me
know.

On Sunday (02/01/2015 at 07:00AM +0000), tony duell wrote:

> > Possibly out of a Model 43. There are 2 40 pin custom ICs on the main
> board and some 24 (maybe 28)
> > pin ones on the keyboard.

Looking through the repair manual on bitsavers didn't really offer any
obvious hints at the IC numbering scheme. I also didn't see any pictures
online of the internals of one, though I think I know someone who has one.
I could verify that these are in fact Model 43 parts in a few weeks,
perhaps.

Kyle