Friden EC-130 Help

jwsmobile jws at jwsss.com
Mon Feb 2 01:44:16 CST 2015

On 2/1/2015 9:03 PM, drlegendre . wrote:
> Hi Kyle,
>
> While I certainly cannot claim any level of expertise in the matter, I do
> happen to have a functional EC-130 here. Or I should say, it was functional
> the last time I examined it, which was around one year ago. My machine was,
> likely still is, suffering from one malady that yours is not - my keys will
> not hold-down during long computations. As you might be aware, the keypad
> lock-out feature was implemented due to the fact that a talented keypunch
> operator could frequently get 'ahead' of the machine - which would result
> in errant output.
>
> Likewise, I have no service documentation for it. But if I can be of any
> assistance, so far as providing voltage / resistance / component readings,
> I'll try to do my best as time allows.
>
> They are fascinating machines - all the more amazing, considering that they
> were almost entirely designed by a single engineer.. save the analog /
> display portions, as I understand it.
This block diagram may help at least the discussion.

http://www.oldcalculatormuseum.com/f130block-l.html

I'd try to trace back if there is any possibility of doing so, on the
display matrix, or maybe the blanking.  Your display looks like the
deflection is pretty much well adjusted, but the display matrix logic
isn't working to scoot the beam around when it counted to the position
of a digit.

Maybe try scoping with care to see how the input to the CRT on the
display drive works.

Hams broke up a huge number of these calculators in the past to harvest
just the CRT and junked the rest.  I got my three from a guy who had
been a singer / friden service guy, and beat out a number of hams
answering a classified ad for his sale.  The CRT may be a well known
commodity if you can find it, or know some older hams who might know who
to ask.  ISTR there was a sheet on how to hook them up.

(OT) Sorry, Al, he had a lot of documentation, but I was not in collect
everything mode then.  It was all for the take free., and he had a test
machine in his living room (Singer system with a 10 platter drive.)
Rare to unknown now days.

Nice find.
Jim