Remember Coherent?

David Schmidt david at attglobal.net
Mon Feb 2 15:45:47 CST 2015

On 2/2/2015 3:08 PM, geneb wrote:
> On Mon, 2 Feb 2015, Liam Proven wrote:
>
>> I could never afford it & figured I wouldn't understand it if I did.
>> But it sounded really cool.
>>
>> Well, as of last month, it's now FOSS.
>>
>> http://www.nesssoftware.com/home/mwc/source.php
>
> The manual was VERY good as I recall.

It was.  And even I could afford it while in college - $99.95 from Mark
Williams Company.  It was a revelation compared to DOS.  Actual
multitasking on my '286.  Actual tools like lex and yacc just like the
big systems at school (HP mumble-thousands and Sun 2s). I wasn't in the
Emacs camp, so the first thing I did was find a vi clone (elvis) to
compile and use.  Lovely system it was.

- David