Weekly Classic Computer Trivia Question (20150204)

Christian Gauger-Cosgrove captainkirk359 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 4 12:17:34 CST 2015

On 4 February 2015 at 12:00, Henk Gooijen <henk.gooijen at hotmail.com> wrote:
> I never saw the 2010 Odyssey ..,. I already fell asleep during the 2001
> movie :-/
I've seen both 2001 and 2010. (And read all four of the novels.) 2001
is a masterwork of cinematography but the book is kind of crap. 2010
is a... boringly generic piece of forgettable sci-fi, the book is more
interesting though.

2061 I've somewhat forgotten about, and 3001 was... well it was
definitely a thing.

> War games, OTOH, I saw already several times. Great movie.
> The big computer was WOPR - War Operations Planner Response (IIRC).

Never actually watched the movie, I'll admit. But I did recall the
name of the computer.

Since I didn't know the "correct" way to answer these trivia questions
(I only just got back onto the mailing list after it HCF'd last year),
I'll echo what I said in my private e-mail:

On 4 February 2015 at 11:43, Christian Gauger-Cosgrove
<captainkirk359 at gmail.com> wrote:
> 1. SAL 9000
> 2. WOPR, "War Operation Plan Response"
> 3. I always heard it was a reference to quintessential cyberpunk
> author William Gibson.

I'm unsure if "the Gibson" is actually a reference to William Gibson
(of "Neuromancer" fame, among other works), but that's what I'd heard.

Cheers,
Christian

--
Christian M. Gauger-Cosgrove