DEC MKA11 and/or M8261/M8163

Johnny Billquist bqt at update.uu.se
Sat Feb 14 13:24:43 CST 2015

On 2015-02-14 19:14, Paul Birkel wrote:
> Thanks Eric.  That might explain how I came into possession of one M8162
> module.  The 11/74 never entered my mind because encountering even a piece
> of one of those is ... unlikely :->.  Using up unsold inventory makes
> sense; I guess that an MKA11 wouldn't function without a full complement of
> modules, even if some serve no real purpose.

The MKA11 is really not much different from an MK11, and you can use an
MKA11 in a normal 11/70 system as well as far as I understand.
Essentially, the MKA11 is just a multiported MK11 box. And the
multiporting is achieved through this extra module, that fits (as far as
I can remember) in the standard MK11 box.

All the other modules in the MKA11 are the same as in the MK11.

> I've looked more closely at the pair of top-edge connectors (the ones like
> the 20ma SLU connectors).  Each have 6-of-8 pins wired *thru* a 1K 1%
> resistor to a separate pin on tab F.  So there are twelve lines running to
> tab F, with resistors in series, and nothing else on those paths.
>
> The rest of the module is a mix of S and LS SSI chips, and a couple of what
> appear to be multi-tap delay lines, plus 5 diagnostic LEDs (unlabeled).
>
> Would the KB11-CM have had special cabling to connect in this manner for
> out-of-band signaling, and then why series resistors (rather than, e.g.,
> pull-ups for an OC line driver)?

I don't think so. There is not out-of-band signalling. But you do have a
control panel for the memory box, on which you can control the box. I
would suspect this would be for that.
(I think there are some extra controls for an MKA11 compared to the
standard panel of an MK11, which is for (I think) setting the memory
on-/offline for individual CPUs, and possibly something more. It should
be in the documentation I put in a link to.

	Johnny