11/23+ Console cables

Glen Slick glen.slick at gmail.com
Tue Feb 17 15:22:54 CST 2015

On Feb 17, 2015 12:33 PM, "Noel Chiappa" <jnc at mercury.lcs.mit.edu> wrote:

> Same here: that's why I posted that data; I figured people probably had
> 11/23+ boards that were 'unusable' because they didn't have the console
> cabkit. "Not any more", in the immortal words of Inspector Clouseau! :-)

If someone was unable to figure out how to use an M8189 11/23+ CPU board
due to lacking the official cabkit there probably isn't too much more they
could figure out to do with it given the cabkit. I don't remember it being
much of a puzzle to find the info in online manuals and/or print sets.

I just used mine with standard M8043 DLV11-J type cables until I came
across a cabkit for the M8189 on eBay one day that wasn't excessively
expensive. A somewhat rare item to find on eBay.

What I haven't picked up yet is a cabkit for my M7554 KDJ11-D 11/53. I had
to hack up something crude to test that board and haven't bothered building
a proper console cable yet. The S-handle version of the M7554 (DECserver
550 CPU) is more convenient to use since I have a BA213 chassis to put it
in.

-Glen