Old toner

Henk Gooijen henk.gooijen at hotmail.com
Sun Feb 22 14:52:44 CST 2015

-----Oorspronkelijk bericht-----
From: Zane Healy
Sent: Sunday, February 22, 2015 9:18 PM
To: General Discussion: On-Topic and Off-Topic Posts
Subject: Re: Old toner

On Feb 22, 2015, at 10:39 AM, Chuck Guzis <cclist at sydex.com> wrote:

> I came across a carton (10 boxes) of Panasonic laser printer toner KX-P450
> in my "I forgot about this stuff" stash.  This is the toner for the old
> KX-P4450 series.  I still have a 4455, but it's destined for the scrap
> heap, as it's not any better or more useful than any printer I have
> now--and is a messy bugger to refill.
>
> My question is "Can this toner" be used to refill other printer
> cartridges?"  In other words, is most printer toner pretty much the same
> stuff?
>
> --Chuck

Having supported a large install base of printers and plotters in the past,
I'm one of those people that don't recommend refilling toner cartridges, or
using 3rd party toner cartridges.

Zane

----- my response ----
Zane is correct. Toner is not toner. The compound may slightly differ,
and the toner particle size may be different. If you printer uses, say,
30 micrometer toner particles and you fill the cartridge with toner
with 20 micrometer particles, you probably have to clean the entire
mechanism, because the "thinner" toner will go through the
mechanism as "water". And your prints might turn out smudgy.
Larger size particles will also bad copies, and possible block the
mechanisms. So, yes, correct toner for a copier/printer is essential.

- Henk