VT101 8085 CPU Fault

Noel Chiappa jnc at mercury.lcs.mit.edu
Sun Feb 22 11:26:50 CST 2015

    > From: Matt Burke

    > You need to connect a DMM with mA (or better uA) range in series with
    > the bench supply and capacitor

I was wondering about that - isn't the startup current, when the supply is
first turned on, going to be substantial, especially with the larger caps?
Any chance that could harm the DMM (or am I too used to old mechanical
meters? ;-), or are they pretty well protected against over-current
situations?

If one does have to worry about this, is there a need for some sort of switch
arrangement so that on initial power-on, there's a direct connection (supply
-> cap), but once it's been on a few seconds, one can switch to route things
through the DMM, to measure current with the cap mostly charged?

Again, apologies for the elementary questions, but I'm not a hardware guy by
trade... :-)

	Noel