Patching vs. new code (was Re: Pascal not considered harmful)

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Tue Feb 24 21:02:11 CST 2015

On 02/24/2015 06:28 PM, Chris Elmquist wrote:

> I also used a 6800 cross-assembler earlier, around '76 or '77 running on
> a CDC network called CyberNet.  I believe these were actually Motorola
> developed cross-development tools hosted on CyberNet, which was a for-pay
> timesharing network with I think, world-wide access at the time.

I'm not certain, but I think CyberNet was an outgrowth of the CDC vs IBM
settlement that got CDC Service Bureau Corp.

My first 8080 assembler ran on a 6000, written in (gasp) FORTRAN. Since
I was with CDC SVLOPS, I just dialed in from home.  I used the guts from
a surplus Novation 300 bps modem, modded to be able to switch between
answer and originate tones.  When I wasn't dialing out, I used an
inexpensive GE audio cassette recorder for storage with the same modem
(I had only one serial port on the MITS box).

The assembler was based on one I that wrote for the 8008, but never got
around to using (the MITS 8800 was just too good to pass up).

--Chuck