RK05 classic computing trivia question

Henk Gooijen henk.gooijen at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 1 03:10:14 CST 2015

-----Oorspronkelijk bericht-----
From: Johnny Billquist
Sent: Thursday, January 01, 2015 12:36 AM
To: cctalk at classiccmp.org
Subject: Re: RK05 classic computing trivia question

On 2014-12-31 20:30, tony duell wrote:
> Based on some boxes of stuff I unpacked today...
>
> How could you quickly distinguish an RK05F spare head from a normal RK05
> spare head?

I wasn't even aware that there were any differences. But I guess there
are, as you ask.
It's been close to 30 years since I touched an RK05F...

But the disk being fixed was the thing I knew. Is the optical thingy
that tells the head movement a part of the head?

ISTR that the doubling of the number of tracks was already reached
by fixing the cartridge on those pins and that the positioning sensor
(glass with lines) already had sufficient precision.
Are the 05/f heads recognized by a different color of the connector
housing or is that the case for RL01 / RL02 heads?

- Henk, PA8PDP