Weekly Classic Computer Trivia Question (20150105)

tony duell ard at p850ug1.demon.co.uk
Sun Jan 4 13:47:32 CST 2015

> Time for another trivia question.  We will start off the year with an easy
> one.  This one is related to computers but not exclusive to computers.
>
> What is the significance of the phrase:
>
> The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog.

I always prefered

XV QUICK NYMPHS BEG FJORD WALTZ

(both use all the letters in the alphabet, the second one is each letter once and once only).

>From where I am sitting I can see a telegraph distortion meter which can send the standard (Quick Brow Fox)
test message in 5 bit ITA2 code (the one that is commonly called Baudot code). The message is stored as a
pattern of conducting and insulating blocks on a disk, with a ratchet mechanism to move it on after each
character and a set of spring contacts to read out the bits. The serialisation of each 5 bit character is done by
a ring of triode valves. But I digress.

-tony