Resurrecting RK05

Johnny Billquist bqt at update.uu.se
Wed Jan 7 07:25:15 CST 2015

The standard RK8E do a select using just one pin, meaning you can have
at most 4 drives on the system.
The RK11 have a binary unit number encoding, meaning you can have 8 drives.

There was also a version of the RK8 controller which did a binary unit
selection. I don't remember the designation of that controller off my
head at the moment.

More fun is that the same pins were used for both binary and 1ofN
selection. I don't remember how on earth this was detected/handled by
the drives, as I don't remember anything beyond the unit setting rotary
switch on one of the boards of the RK05.

Ans in theory, you could have gone to 16 drives, since you had 4 pins.
But then again, I wonder if it wasn't some clever design using the 4th
pin as a way of indicating that the other 3 pins were a binary unit
number by making sure that you never had just one signal active...

	Johnny