VT101 8085 CPU Fault

Robert Jarratt robert.jarratt at ntlworld.com
Sun Jan 18 15:47:35 CST 2015

I checked Vcc and Vss and they appeared to be fine (5V and 0V respectively).

> I wouldn't care much for a logic analyzer at this point. A good scope will tell
> you more. Nice sharp edges to signals when they shift. Times that look
> reasonable... Steady levels, and correct levels.

It will never be steady with a scope because the address lines won't be a regular waveform. That said they looked very different on the faulty board to how they looked on the good board.

> >> If those are showing activity then the RD pin is either dead, or
> >> shorted somewhere, I'd guess.
> >

> > RD and WR are active low, and they are both high, so I suppose they could be
> shorted high, but I don't know.
>
> That will be very hard to verify without disconnecting the pins. So let's focus on
> other things for the moment.

I have a desoldering gun now, so desoldering is no longer the problem it once was for me, but I would still prefer to avoid this if possible. I am not sure what else to check though.