Operating systems of the 1970s handling dates beyond the year 2000

Johnny Billquist bqt at update.uu.se
Mon Jan 19 07:03:42 CST 2015

On 2015-01-19 04:30, John Kaur wrote:
> Believe is you use 1972, that is the folding point for the calendar to get
> weeks and months correct.
> Older versions of RSTS did not do it past about mid 2000.
> John

RSTS/E have some weird internal format that is really not very good, and
which soon will have problems again. It already did have problems, but
it was extended by explicitly saying that the date was unsigned. (The
date format is pretty much ((year-1972)*1000)+day within year. Which
obviously waste a lot of the values, as there are only 365 or 366 days
in a year. And of course, they hit problems 32 years after the start
year, which was 2004.)

I don't know what is special about 1972. I always assumed they used that
base because that's the year RSTS-11 first showed up.

	Johnny