Operating systems of the 1970s handling dates beyond the year 2000

David Brownlee abs at absd.org
Tue Jan 20 10:38:39 CST 2015

On 19 January 2015 at 01:07, Johnny Billquist <bqt at update.uu.se> wrote:
> TOPS-20? VMS?
> Actually RSX internally also handles it fine, but there were bugs in various
> code that displayed dates, that assumed that the year would never go beyond
> 99. :-)

IIRC there was a bug filed against VMS to the effect that dates past
9999 were not supported. Have to be impressed by that belief in future
engineering :)

I quite liked that the Gould UTC/32 system we used in 1987 had 32bit
padding around any stored filesystem timestamp to allow for moving to
64bit time, ahh ECL systems...