Equipment Available (really VAX 8600)

Richard Loken richardlo at admin.athabascau.ca
Fri Jan 23 09:55:21 CST 2015

On Thu, 22 Jan 2015, Jay West wrote:

> Just received the following "equipment available" email..
> Vax 8600
> MicroVax II

Coinicidently, my employer purchased a VAX 8600 (running VMS) and a
VAX-11/785 running Ultrix in 1985 and I was reading the tender for its
purchase last week.

In 1985 an educational institution could get a VAX 8600, VAX/VMS 4.7,
umpteen layered products, and a three years hardware/software support
agreement for CDN$1,034,000.00 and a VAX-11/785 with Ultrix and layered
products for around $400,000.00.

The purchase All-In-One was $35,000.00!!!  Coo Lummey!

Four years later the 8600 (now an 8650) was replaced by a VAX 8820 for
an additional $1.2 million.

The VAX 8820 ran a MicroVAX II as its boot/management console but I cannot
remember what did that job for the 8600.  Was it a MicroVAX II?  If so, then
anybody wishing to haul away the 8600 will also want the MicroVAX II...

--
   Richard Loken VE6BSV, Unix System Administrator : "Anybody can be a father
   Athabasca University                            :  but you have to earn