VT101 8085 CPU Fault

Robert Jarratt robert.jarratt at ntlworld.com
Sat Jan 24 07:22:05 CST 2015

RST
> 38h. Since location 0038 is very likely to be in the ROM of a simple
> 8085 system like this, it will just keep on exectuting RST 38h, pushing
> 39 00 onto the stack each time (and thus filling writable memory with
those
> bytes). This is not what your VT101 is doing AFAIK, so I would think the
ROM is
> not all 1's

As I can't use my programmer at the moment, I just put the ROM in a
breadboard to try the pins and see what happens. I used the pinout of the
MCM68776 and it seems to correspond exactly. Basically the data outputs
change as I change the address lines when pin 20 is low, which is as per the
datasheet. This is odd, because I told the programmer it was MCM68776, and
yet it read all 1s, whereas when I use it on the breadboard, the ROM does
seem to return 0s as well. I will have to investigate further when I can get
to use the programmer again.

Regards

Rob