SIMH DG Nova and real serial port

J. David Bryan jdbryan at acm.org
Sat Jan 31 13:24:53 CST 2015

On Saturday, January 31, 2015 at 11:56, shadoooo wrote:

> In other words, I would need to use SIMH connected to a real serial
> port: is it possible?

The current SIMH 4.0 manual says in section 3.14, "Console Options:"

  A simulator console can be connected to a serial port on the host system.

   SET CONSOLE SERIAL=ser0        connect console to serial port ser0
   SET CONSOLE SERIAL=COM1        connect console to serial port COM1
   SET CONSOLE SERIAL=/dev/ttyS0  connect console to serial port /dev/ttyS0

  The available serial ports on the host system can be displayed with
  the command:

   SHOW SERIAL                    display available serial ports on host

  Serial port speed, character size, parity and stop bits can be
  indicated on the by appending the speed, character size, parity and
  stop bits to the serial port name:

   SET CONSOLE SERIAL=ser0;2400-8N1

  This will connect at 2400 with 8 bit characters, no parity and 1 stop
  bit.  The default serial speed, character size, parity and stop bits
  is 9600-8N1.

This capability was added in 2012, I believe.

                                      -- Dave