How many use old browsers (e.g. =< Netscape 4 or IE 6) as their ONLY source of web content?

Richard Loken richardlo at admin.athabascau.ca
Fri Jul 3 10:05:04 CDT 2015

On Thu, 2 Jul 2015, william degnan wrote:

> I have been using Mosaic on my OpenVMS system, almost unusable, but fun.

I have Mozilla Seamonkey on my OpenVMS Alpha 8.3 box and it is only slightly
more usable than Mosaic in this the 21st century.  I would like to port
firefox to VMS but that would take thousands of hours of work - even
retirement won't give me that kind of time.

A decade or two back when VMS was still significant, albeit fading, OpenVMS
came with some flavour of Mozilla but it would not work on HP's (or
Compaq's, I can't remember) websites.  That pissed me off, I could not see
the point of a VMS website that could not be used with a current VMS
browser.  My only desktop at the time ran VMS (it was the only surviving VMS
workstation) so I would strike an Xterm session to some Unix box and run the
browser over there.

--
   Richard Loken VE6BSV, Unix System Administrator : "Anybody can be a father
   Athabasca University                            :  but you have to earn