CDC disk drives (was Re: what IBM system is this?)

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Sun Jul 5 09:57:30 CDT 2015

On 07/05/2015 03:01 AM, P Gebhardt wrote:

> Chuck, I would have guessed these are 9756/9780 type of drives (100
> and 200MB disk packs, respectively). But I just saw that the 844-41
> also uses "high-capacity" disk packs (in contrast to the original
> plain 844).

Pierre, I see these as 844s--but for all I know the same drive was sold
as the 9756--I doubt that you could tell the difference from the outside.

I remember encountering them mostly as replacements for the terrible 821
drives, which had the appearance of an 808, but substantially increased
capacity.  I don't think any 821s were ever installed at a customer's
site, however--I saw the lot of them that we had falling to the CE
sledgehammer.

They were replaced by banks of 844s--lots of them.  I think one site had
well over 100 installed, all hooked together with a MAC on at least 2
Cyber 74s.

--Chuck