Altos ACS 8000-7 (8200) mainboard wanted / Shugart 4008 motor pulley

wulfman wulfman at wulfman.com
Fri Jul 10 22:05:09 CDT 2015

On 7/10/2015 7:50 PM, Jay Jaeger wrote:
> Long story, but....
>
> I recently acquired an Altos ACS 8000-2 with an 8100-01 mainboard (which
> currently is not functioning).   Acquired it on eBay where it was
> represented as an ACS-8000-7, along with an Altos 8000-7A 29MB hard disk
> (a Shugart 4008).  The hard disk was fine, but the computer wasn't the
> one shown in the photo.  (I arranged for a partial refund.  At least the
> disk was the one in the photo.  ;) ).
>
> I was wondering if anyone had an 8200 mainboard (the one with the logic
> for the hard disk on it) that they would be willing to sell at an
> affordable price?
>
> Also, I have a second Shugart 4008 hard disk, but it was configured for
> 50Hz - so the motor pulley is the wrong size.  Anyone out there have a
> dead 4008 that they would be willing to have part with its motor pulley
> and belt (and get the 50Hz set in return)?  (For example, I saw a
> posting on youtube with a wobbly platter set that probably is a good
> candidate...  ;) ).
>
> Any tips on troubleshooting the mainboard on a double density Altos 8000
> computer (mainboard 8100) would also be appreciated.  I have already
> reseated the chips, polished the tarnish off some chips the apparently
> had silver-plated pins, etc., to no avail.  Have dumped the ROM (2708).
>  Next plan is to disassemble that, and slap a logic analyzer on "J2"
> which has all of the bus signals on it.
>
> Thanks in advance...
>
> JRJ

This is why i collect cpu emulators. I have almost every kind made. I do
however need some jumper headers for a 68000 HMI unit
thats set for 68008 mode but thats another story.

what main CPU does this use, 8080 or a Z80 or ???

--
The contents of this e-mail and any attachments are intended solely for the use of the named
addressee(s) and may contain confidential and/or privileged information. Any unauthorized use,