Reproducing old machines with newer technology (Re: PDP-12 at the RICM)

ben bfranchuk at jetnet.ab.ca
Tue Jul 14 15:52:00 CDT 2015

On 7/14/2015 1:56 PM, tony duell wrote:

> You are, of course, absolutely correct...
>
> However, such designs are very few and far between. I will guess that if you took just about any of the
> discrete transistor or TTL-baased minis or desktops and fed the design straight into an FPGA compiler then
> it will not work.

What machines were you thinking of?

Once TTL came out, 8,16,32 bits ended up being the common size.
I working on FPGA computer design, that is TTL style computer, 1975 ish
or so. 20 bits, 74LSxx 181 alu and 4x4 ram for general registers.
I have not yet made up my mind how to do Interupts,but I got most the
logic with only about 6 or so clocks.