PDP 11 gear finally moved

Tothwolf tothwolf at concentric.net
Wed Jul 22 09:43:01 CDT 2015

On Wed, 22 Jul 2015, tony duell wrote:
> On Wed, 22 Jul 2015, ANDY HOLT wrote:
>
>>> Do you seriously replace both headlight bulbs when one fails? I know of
>>> nobody who does that. Generally you carry a spare bulb kit and a screwdriver
>>> and if a bulb fails, pull over and change it.
>
>> and - like the capacitor replacement question this is an "it depends".
>> For some cars - including the Mercedes A-class (at least earlier
>> models) - it is almost impossible to change the headlight bulb when the
>> car is at ground level because it is accessed through a hatch in the
>> wheel arch, whereas if the car
>
> ARGH!!!
>
> But presumably you carry a jack and tools to change a wheel. Can you not
> just remove the wheel on the correct side to reach the hatch (not that I
> want to work on a car not supported on proper axle stands...)
>
> Having had a number of bulbs that failed shortly (but not very shortly)
> after installation (nothing to do with headlamps, and not quartz-halogen
> bulbs so it was not contamination of the envelope that was the problem)
> I wonder if necessarily changing a good bulb is a good idea...

I can't say I've previously heard of that being done with automotive
bulbs, but I do know that some pinball guys who do this. After a couple of
lamps go out, they will replace them all at the same time because it
usually isn't easy to change them, and once the lamps reach a certain
number of power on hours, they start failing more and more frequently.