PDP 11 gear finally moved

jwsmobile jws at jwsss.com
Wed Jul 22 11:00:51 CDT 2015

Tail and signaling lights put much more stress on the filament.  The
headlights are burned steady in practice and will burn out when they
burn out.

I never replace both, and seldom see any correlation.  I just put the
spare in the trunk with the kit to get at the lights when they do fail.
I figure selling them in pairs makes sense to the marketers since they
have seen demand replace both.  But I don't mind having them burn out
before replacement.

Safety would dictate never having to operate the vehicle with failed
signals, so it can be justified, I suppose to replace both to minimize
that, but there is no way to justify regular replacement of bulbs just
because they may fail.

To the original discussion, if disassembling and accessing the bulbs is
a pain in the ass, as it is for most  systems, making sure all lamps are
in good condition when the panel is uninstalled (which puts stress on
the connectors, fasteners) by checking and replacing any which don't
appear to be in good condition makes sense.

Jim