H960 blank panel clips

quapla quapla at xs4all.nl
Tue Jul 28 04:22:17 CDT 2015

On 2015-07-27 18:51, Vincent Slyngstad wrote:
> From: Noel Chiappa: Monday, July 27, 2015 8:58 AM
>> Time to find someone who can do injection molding... (I don't think
>> these
>> could be 3D printed, the necks of the bulb-heads are under a lot of
>> stress
>> when removing panels, they often snap off; will 3D printed parts be
>> that
>> strong?)
>
> They are actually pretty straight-forward to cast, especially if you
> don't need the metal nut in the middle.  I've made molds with RTV,
> then cast parts out of 2 part resin.  The molds do wear out, where you
> pull the bulb-heads through.
>
> I've also had them 3D printed successfully, and if you're careful
> about the print direction, the bulb-heads are sufficiently strong in
> ABS.  (I haven't tried it in PLA.  Sintered nylon would also probably
> work, but would be expensive.)
>
> From: quapla: Monday, July 27, 2015 9:14 AM
>> Maybe a future possibility to have a (maybe Chinese) manufacturer make
>> a batch of 1000, 2000 or maybe 10000 clips with a type of plastic
>> which
>> is slightly more flexible so that they do not break off to quickly?
>
> I like that they almost always break before the panel itself does, so
> don't make them too strong.  I actually damaged a panel once by
> replacing the bulb-head with a screw (head).  (Maybe should have used
> a nylon screw.)
>
> Also, there are several flavors.  You can see a few toward the bottom
> of:
> http://www.so-much-stuff.com/pdp8/cad/3d.php
> though I don't have that exact flavor with the nut in the center.
> That makes ordering 10000 a challenge, since what's actually needed is
> probably a mix of the various flavors.
>
>    Vince

Hmm, I have 3 versions, the ones with the nut, the ones without the nut
and the one with the clamps which goes into the cabinet holes.

I guess the ones without the nut and without the rack clamps may be the
preferred ones, as there are always ways to bolt the panel clips to the
rack posts.

@Al Kossow
Yes, straight pins would be better so less break off chances.

@John Wilson
Yes, local production is always better, but to keep it affordable
for a group of private individuals, costs is usually more important.

Regarding the base material, would ABS plastic the best solution?
(Like the Lego bricks)?

I did find a place in Belgium, who has their production facility in
China. They offer up to 70% price reduction so it sounds interesting.
(http://www.kunststof-spuitgieten.be, alas only in Dutch).

@Vince
Can you make a '.stp' or '.igs' file of the bracket as shown
in the image 'bracket-screws.jpg' but with straight poles rather
than the 'ball on a stick' version?

I need one of these formats to ask them for a price offer based on the
1000 / 2000 / 10000 batch size.

Ed

--
Dit is een HTML vrije email / This is an HTML free email.
Zeg NEE tegen de 'slimme' meter.